The Jones County Kiwanis Club during its first year of existence
in 1935 purchased 115 acres of land between Gray and Haddock for the
purpose of building a community center and recreation area. The plan
was to build a lake for swimming and fishing, a pavilion, two
bathhouses, a clubhouse, and a nine-hole golf course. The club
deeded the land to the county, and with county, state, and federal
funds, the work was begun.
The WPA, Works Progress Administration, a post-depression New Deal
agency set up combat unemployment, furnished labor. Materials,
mules, machinery, and additional labor were donated by members of
the club and other interested citizens, and the stones of the walls
of the clubhouse were taken from nearby Jones County fields. After
flourishing as a community center for many years, the clubhouse fell
to disuse and deteriorated from lack of maintenance.
In 1973, the Pilot Club of Jones County initiated a project to
renovate the clubhouse to be revitalized as a community center. The
county commissioners contributed county revenue sharing funds toward
the project, and donations and honorariums were received from
individuals and clubs. The clubhouse is owned and operated by the
Today, the clubhouse may be used for private parties, receptions,
weddings, and other functions. Rules and fees for the buildings have
been set up by the commissioners. Reservations for the clubhouse may
be made by calling the accounting office at 478-986-6405.
Additional Photos of the Jonesco Clubhouse: