Seeking public input about future transportation plans for the southern portion of Jones County
The MATS staff of the Macon-Bibb County Planning & Zoning Commission is seeking engagement from the community and gathering information from the public during the update of the 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan planning process, as well as the update of the Comprehensive Plan planning process. The Long Range Transportation Plan will include approximately a billion dollars of transportation projects over the next 25 years and public input is vitally important to help set priorities. This plan guides future transportation improvements in Macon-Bibb County and a portion of Jones and Monroe Counties and includes new roadways, new pedestrian and bike facilities, new transit opportunities, as well as upgrades of existing transportation infrastructure. The LRTP is updated every four years and its impact can be seen around the Macon area in road projects that are currently under construction, like the Sardis Church Road extension and the Forest Hill Road widening, and planned projects like the I-75/I-16 interchange expansion, Jeffersonville Road widening, new roundabouts, and new bridges over rail lines and waterways. The Comprehensive Plan is a state mandated plan required by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs and is a 20-Year plan which, in addition to transportation, outlines the vision of a community in areas of community development, land use, recreation, and housing which is updated every 10 years.
The update of both the Long Range Transportation Plan and the Comprehensive Plan process relies heavily on input from the public. You have a unique opportunity to voice your opinions to help shape the future of Macon – Bibb County; help determine the character, scale and quality of development and redevelopment of our area; help formulate the goals and objectives of our future transportation systems; help prioritize a list of proposed transportation projects; and propose transportation projects that you would like to see in the MATS study area. Your involvement will impact planning policies for Macon – Bibb County and together we will create a blueprint for the future of our community. Everyone is encouraged to share ideas and provide comments at one or more of the upcoming open houses, community outreach events, or MATS committee meetings:
- Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 10:00AM – 7:00PM, Public Information Open House, Macon-Bibb County Planning & Zoning Commission, (682 Cherry Street, Suite 1000, 10th Floor, Willie C. Hill Government Center Annex Building, Macon, Georgia)
- Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 6:00PM – 8:00PM, MATS Citizens Advisory Committee meeting (682 Cherry Street, Suite 1000, 10th Floor, Willie C. Hill Government Center Annex Building, Macon, Georgia)
- Monday, July 18, 2016, 6:00PM – 8:00PM, Washington Memorial Library, (1180 Washington Avenue, Macon, Georgia)
- Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 9:00AM – 11:00AM, MATS Technical Coordinating Committee meeting (682 Cherry Street, Suite 1000, 10th Floor, Willie C. Hill Government Center Annex Building, Macon, Georgia)
- Thursday, July 21, 2016, 6:00PM – 8:00PM, Jones County Government Center – Charlotte C. Wilson Conference Room, (166 Industrial Boulevard, Gray Georgia 31032)
- Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 10:00AM – 7:00PM, Public Information Open House, Macon-Bibb County Planning & Zoning Commission, (682 Cherry Street, Suite 1000, 10th Floor, Willie C. Hill Government Center Annex Building, Macon, Georgia)
For more information regarding MATS, the LRTP process, the list of current transportation projects in the area and the public outreach schedule, please visit our website regularly for any changes / updates at www.mats2040.org. You may also submit comments by Monday, August 1, 2016 to Gregory L. Brown, Senior Planner, 682 Cherry Street, Suite 1000, Macon, Georgia 31201 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.