SPECIAL MESSAGE TO ALL JONES COUNTY CITIZENS
Based on the JONES COUNTY DROUGHT CONTINGENCY PLAN, Water Restrictions may be put in place when there are drought indicators.
Current Drought condition indicators are:
1. Daily flow meter totals for all water plants reaching permit totals or production totals.
2. Ground water monitored for unusual drops in levels.
3. Pump stations abnormal use to maintain system pressure. Inability to maintain elevated tank capacities.
We are experiencing conditions 1 and 3 due to a lack of rainfall.
Therefore, the Jones County Board of Commissioners recommend that the following restrictions be implemented:
1. Washing hard surfaces such as streets, gutters, sidewalks and driveways, except when necessary for public health and safety;
2. Using water for ornamental purposes, such as fountains, reflecting pools, and waterfalls;
3. Use of fire hydrants, except for the purposes of firefighting, public health, safety, or flushing;
4. Washing vehicles, such as cars, boats, trailers, motorbikes, airplanes, or golf carts;
5. Non-commercial washing, or pressure washing, of buildings or structures, except for immediate fire protection; and
6. Charity, or non-commercial fund-raiser, car washes
7. General Outdoor Watering. Outdoor irrigation for purposes of planting, growing, managing, or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs, or other plants is not permitted.
Specific Categories of Outdoor Water Use. The outdoor water uses shall be allowed, subject to the following additional requirements:
1. Irrigation of personal food gardens shall be conducted between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m., unless done using drip irrigation or soaker hoses. Irrigation of personal food gardens using drip irrigation or soaker hoses may be done at any time.
2. Hand watering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container may be conducted between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m.
3. Irrigation of athletic fields or public turf grass recreational areas may be conducted between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m., subject to the two days a week odd-even schedule described in Drought Response Level 2.
4. Irrigation of golf courses shall be conducted in accordance with the “Golf Irrigation Prediction and Estimation Worksheet” and only between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m., provided, however, irrigation of golf course greens may occur at any time of day.
5. Use of reclaimed waste water by a designated user from a system permitted by the Division to provide reclaimed waste water shall not be allowed for general outdoor watering.
6. Installation, maintenance, or calibration of irrigation systems is allowed, provided that it is done by professional landscapers or golf course superintendents.
Jones County Board of Commissioner
Any questions pertaining to the restrictions may call Jones County Water Department at 478-743-3211.